Domain Registration: How To Buy A Domain
How To Buy A Domain
- Log in to your Control Panel.
- Go to Domain Central.
- Select Register New.
- Type the name of the domain you want to buy (example: If you want to buy 'your-domain.com', type in 'your-domain').
Important: Also see domain name requirements.
- Click Register.
- Use the screen that appears to select any number of domains and domain extensions to add to your shopping cart.
Important: Having Add Domain Privacy checked when you click any Add or Add to Cart buttons will include Domain Privacy with your purchase order. Leave unchecked if you would prefer not to purchase domain privacy. Domains which do not qualify for Domain Privacy will not have domain privacy added even if the box is checked.
- Click on your Cart to proceed.
- Use the dropdown(s) to select the number of years to purchase.
- Click Continue.
- Verify your information on the next screen.
- Click Continue.
- Select your billing method using the on-screen options.
- Click CHECKOUT to place your order. Your will be charged immediately and the domain will appear inside of Domain Central usually within minutes of being purchased, however, your domain may require up to 48 hours to fully register onto your account.
If you run into errors while trying to buy your domain, visit the section below for guidance.
Domain Registration FAQ
What Characters Are Allowed In A Domain Name
Can I Cancel The Registration Of A New Domain
Domain names cannot be changed or refunded, even if you've accidentally spelled them wrong (see Domain Registration Agreement). We encourage you to double-check the spelling of your new domain before finalizing the purchase.
Why Can't I See My Domain
There are two common reasons why you might not see your domain online just after purchasing it:
- Contact us if your domain still hasn't finished registering after 48 hours. Remember that you can always check the registration status of your domain by doing a Whois Lookup.
- If you just bought your domain with us and are intending to host your website elsewhere, you'll first need to update your nameservers to refer to your hosting company (see Domain Management: How To Update Nameservers).
Why Do I Get An 'Error: Improper Telephone Format'
Some domains (such as .biz, .org, and .info) ask that your telephone number to be in a specific format. Use a '+' symbol followed by your international calling code, followed by a period, followed by your complete telephone number (no hyphens, spaces, or parenthesis).
- Example: +1.5556667777
Are There Special Registration Requirements On Certain New TLDs
As new top level domains become available, some of them may add special requirements before they can be registered. These top level domains are marked with a special icon during the registration process. For more details visit New TLD Phases.
The domain did not successfully go through our automated process. We are looking into this and will be in contact with you. You will receive a message at your account's administrative email address within 2-4 hours.